The Magento Story: How A Student Launched The Software That Powers Billions In Sales – With Roy Rubinon Jun 25, 2009 - 9:22 AM PST
Roy Rubin was a student trying to make extra money on the side when he founded Varien, the company that went on to launch Magento, an ecommerce platform that enables billions of dollars in online sales.
He came to Mixergy to talk about why Varien grew (it had a lot to do with focus) and how the company launched Magento (his developers pushed him to do it).
The FULL program
Full program includes
- Why Roy created phantom stocks instead of shares, and why YOU might want to use them in your business.
- Details of how a community built up around Magento before it was even built. Others on Mixergy have done the same thing, and you can too.
- Some discussion of how you can build a company when you have family obligations.
- More details. If you only read this summary, you might think that it was all simple. Listen to the full interview to get the full story.
- I went longer with this post. Do you like it? Or do you prefer shorter posts?
- Do you use Magento? Tell me about it.
- How’s the transcription? Do you see any typos? Let me know.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: Do you think this story belongs in the Mixergy book? If not, how can I improve it?
[Roy is a friend of mine, but for some reason I didn't think to ask him for an interview until Mosess suggested I interview him. Thanks Mosses!]